Tuesday, 31 August 2010

Fruit and Veg Shop Helps Fight Fire Dangers

A former fruit and vegetable shop in Staffordshire is being used to urge people to keep their homes safe from fire.

In the latest drive to improve fire safety the Tamworth Community Safety Partnership has created an eye-catching display aimed at encouraging people to get their homes fire checked.

The former shop on Church Street in the town has been transformed into a fire safety hotspot with window displays advertising free home fire risk checks, smoke alarm fitting and electric blanket checks.

The fire risk checks are carried out by Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, another member of the TCSP.

The checks are free and involve a fire officer paying a visit and advising on how to reduce the risk of fire, as well as fitting smoke alarms.

The display is also encouraging Tamworth residents who have electric blankets to take them along for a free safety check in Ankerside on Friday October 22.

Alan Mathers, home fire risk check technician from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “When we did these checks in 2008, we had 103 blankets brought in and 46 of them were found to be faulty.

“Last year, we saw 100 electric blankets and half of them were faulty. Electric blanket faults are a major cause of fires and we want to ensure that everyone who uses them is using them safely.”

Officers from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service will be manning the stand from 10am to 4pm and will be doing free checks on electric blankets.

Any found to be faulty will be replaced free of charge if the owner is over 60 and lives in Staffordshire.

Cllr Brian Beale, Cabinet Member for Community Safety, said, “These free safety checks can save a life and the council is delighted to be able to help deliver these vital lifesaving checks as part of the Community Safety Partnership.”

To arrange a free home fire risk check, contact 0800 0241 999.

No comments:

Post a Comment